Thursday, May 29, 2014

13 months (April 12th)

Two big milestones this month. Walking and Weaning!

Dayvia has taken one or two steps for a month or so now, and has been cruising since 10 months. But on April 25th she took her first steps on her own. She was sitting with "Bubba" Zellie playing and I walked into the room and saw her stand up and look around, I could tell she was contemplating taking her first steps. I called Mike to come upstairs, and as if she knew to wait for Mike to be there… she just stood there waiting. As soon as he walked into the room, we both held our hands out and said, "come on, come on, you can do it, walk to us." And she did it, she took about 7 steps towards us on her own, in front of Mike, Bubba, and me. It was magical.

Weaning happened at 13 1/2 months, just 4 days before she walked. We started weaning at 12 months, dropping one nursing a day. And on April 22nd, she nursed for the last time. I was a little sad, but not as sad as I thought I would be. My original breastfeeding goal was 12 months- so we did it! I feel proud of us. Breastfeeding isn't easy, weaning isn't easy- but we did it, together. I couldn't have gotten through those first few months of nursing without the support and advice from my dear friend Emily Carpenter. She was there for me every day, every late night, offering encouraging words of advice. And of course, I couldn't have done it without Mike. He let me cry, he rubbed my feet, he never doubted me, or made me feel like I couldn't do this. The first few months of breastfeeding is all about your support team- I had a great one.


DEVELOPMENTS
Walking!
Weaning!

New words: Bubba (for Grandma Zellie), No
Still saying: hi, bye, baby, ball, mama, dada, elmo

New signs: Book, Play, Eat, Sleepy

Still signing: All done, milk

LIKES
Drawing with crayons and sidewalk chalk
Swimming

DISLIKES
Eggs

FAVORITE FOODS
Cheese- any kind. Extra sharp, Goat, Gouda, the smellier the better.
Oatmeal pancakes (Grandma Shirley's recipe)
Plain greek yogurt
Blueberries















3 comments:

  1. I like the tiptoe picture. (Is she en pointe already?!) And that sand dollar pillow, which she obviously loves. More words! More walking! Walk over here and tell me who you are, please. I hope she will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Rhonda?? Is she destined to be a ballerina with those feet?! I can't wait to hear you two have a conversation.

      Delete
  2. Davy, you're messing with Aunt Rachel.... can just hear them both giggling.....promise not to hug too much

    ReplyDelete